RECIPES: Polenta Pizza fromThe Vitamix Cookbook by Jodi Berg
A naturally gluten-free entree to add to your dinner rotation. Grind your own cornmeal and make your own polenta. Top with a simple pizza sauce, low-fat mozzarella, and veggies to bake to bubbling perfection. Enjoy!
1 1/4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 yea spoon sea salt
1 1/4 cups course whole grain cornmeal preferrably homemade
1/4 cup quick and easy pizza sauce
1/2 cup partial skim milk mozzarella
2 tablespoons red onion
2 tablespoons sliced orange bell pepper
2 tablespoons thinly sliced creamini mushrooms
2 tablespoons sauteed spinach
1. Pre heat the oven too 400 F. Lightly coat a 9 inc round springform pan with cooking spray
2. Combine the branch, milk, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and the salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the cornmeal, whisking constantly.Reduce the heat to low.Cover and cook for 5 minutes to thicken.
3. Remove the polenta from the heat and immediately pour into the springform pan. With a lightly greased spatula or spoon, gently push the polenta over the bottom and at least 1/4 inch up the sides of the pan to create a raised/edge crust.
4. Brush the remaining 1/2 teaapoon oil over the crust and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the crust is lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Leave the oven on.
5. Top the polenta crust with the pizza sauce, mozzarella and the vegetables (or other toppings of your choice.)
6. Return the pizza to the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
7. Remove the sides of the springform pan, cut the pizza into 8 wedges, and serve hot.
Amount per slice: calories 180, total fat 8 g, saturated fat 2 g, cholesterol 5 mg. sodim 220 mg, total carbohydrate 21 g, dietary 3 g, protein 6 g